Saturday, May 27, 2017

Inspiring My Art

Today is Rachel Louise Carson's birthday, born May 27, 1907 died in Silver Spring, Maryland April 1964. She may be best known for her book, Silent Spring. She is credited with advancing the environmental movement and our relationship to the natural world.

I was introduced to her book in my early 20's and have re-read it a few times since. I am thinking it may be time to read it again. It is because of her works that eagles, California condors, red-tailed hawks and other wildlife have moved off endangered species listings. The removal of chemicals was not just in bringing wildlife back but helping the entire world live better, cleaner lives.

The inspiration she gives me is a respect for nature and our natural world. "Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life". What I take from this quote is go out into the world, explore and document what brings you joy. Viewing nature and wildlife is a never ending source of creative information. Thank you Rachel Carson for helping me see.








A few of my works inspired by nature: a tree in my backyard, white trees - birch or aspen seen at a distance AZ, Utah & CO inspiration, and aspen seen near the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon.

1 comment:

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...