Monday, February 20, 2017

Close Encounters With A Hummingbird

This weekend was filled with wonderful creative spirit. Rick and I went down to Tucson for the opening of the "Desert Harmony" pastel show, Ironwood Gallery, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. We had a little time before the opening and went over to the hummingbird aviary. This time of year the females are preparing nest to lay eggs.

To my surprise and those around me, this broad-billed female hummingbird thought my woven jacket looked like something she could use in her nest. There was a woman near me with beautiful white curly hair that also got the hummingbirds attention. I became the focal point of this hummingbirds' attention. She began trying to pull little threads from my jacket. I tried to stay still as she moved all around me, pulling at the threads. I could feel her wings on my jacket and her little beak pulling. It is hard to find words to describe how overjoyed I was to have this close encounter with a hummingbird.

I was able to get a few pictures using my cell phone but the best was Rick and a fellow artist, Sandy Cogar from Ontario took videos. I just met Sandy in the hummingbird aviary, she was kind enough to share her video with me and with her permission you get to see it here. Sandy works with metal and rocks to create her garden sculptures, of which there are hummingbird pieces.

What a wonderful way to start off a creative weekend.









video

                            This first video is created by Sandy Cogar, Ontario, Canada

video

Second video by Rick Parsons


No comments:

Post a Comment

Square Art

I have heard that it's hip to be square. I know pushing it again, but, thought I would try one of the tree pieces as a square format. It...