Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Colors Of Autumn

The leaves are slowly turning on the east coast. I suspect after this weekends drop in temperatures there will be a quick change. As the chlorophyll breaks down, the green makes way for red-yellow and orange. The shorter days, less sunlight, less moisture and cooler temperatures give trees the cues they need to hibernate for the winter. The fall is when they prepare and they put on one last show before they rest.


Virginia Tech Campus is especially beautiful in the fall. There are 4800 trees with 145 species, VA Tech (VT for short) has been awarded Tree Campus U.S.A. 7 years running by the Arbor Day Foundation. The school offers special degrees in Dendrology, the scientific study of trees. There are web sites and phone app's that will tell you what trees are on campus. I like to know what trees I use in my artwork and the nerd in me comes out. Yes, I do have the phone app and I have research using VT's guide to trees on line. I can't name all the trees but I am pretty good at researching to find out what that tree is for my reference files.

If you would like to see some of the trees I have painted this year, head over to the Matrix Gallery, 115 N. Main St., Blacksburg, VA. I will be there this Friday, October, 21st from 3:00-6:00 doing a demonstration with pastels and answering questions. The gallery is open 7 days a week M-S 10:30 to 6:00 and Su 12:00 - 4:00. The show is up through October. You can also find some of my birds at the Artful Lawyer, 318 N. Main St., Blacksburg, VA.


  

Inspired by Oak at Stadium Woods, 12 acres of 300+ year old trees

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clouds - Trees - Along The Way

We are about 18 days into our cross country trip. We are on the east coast, have been for a for about a week, GA, S.C. crossed through N.C. ...