Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Different Strokes

Now that the 30-30 is over I will address some of the questions that follow the challenge. How do you do that? Technique questions on what is Stippling, coffee stained papers, types of pastels/papers and are these works for sale?? Yes, most of the works are for sale. Some of them will be available at the Matrix Gallery, 115 N. Main St., Blacksburg, VA this weekend.

I will try to answer the technical question over several blog posts. Today Stippling, the art of making little tiny dots all over the paper. I put together a little slide/film that runs through the process pretty quickly. Starting with the materials I used: India ink, pens (black and white), mixed medium paper (because it takes moisture from the ink wash) and I made a template of the pin oak leaves.

To begin with I take the photo reference into photoshop and create a B&W line drawing. I used this as the guide for the pencil sketch, pen outline and cut the drawing out to make a protect cover. Once the cover was secured to the pin oak leaves. I used a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of water and India ink, spraying it over the paper. Allow this to dry completely before trying to remove the protective shield.

Next I used the white gel type pens to start building up the background leaves. The 3 main pin oak leaves were left white because of the protective cover. I went into these leaves with black pens.

The final layer came with a 50/50 water to ink wash, brushed over the background to make it darker, allowing the leaves to pop out more. The whole process took 2 1/2 days. Doing the dots, I would work a couple hours, take an hour break to rest my hand and back at it late into the evening. I do not count the amount of hours I work on a piece but it was more than an 8 hour day.

If you have additional question please email me at: lindahp@lindaharrisonparsons.com regarding either techniques or to purchase a special piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...