Thursday, September 29, 2016

Making Changes

Closing in on the last two days of the 30-30 challenge. I truly do not know what I will do for the last day. I generally have something to finish up, something sketched out or at the very least an idea. Well, I really do have several ideas, just not sure which one will come to the surface. I have a couple oil paintings that are mid-way in process, stacked along with pictures, papers and even a wood board I picked up to draw or paint on that is still waiting to be developed. I think there will be an owl or two on that board, just have not gotten to it yet. The bobcat is still waiting to be more than just a graphite sketch, he may get started but would not be very far along for tomorrow's post. Once I walk into my studio it will all come together.

Yesterday, I was going through works that may go into shows and came across a fall scene. It had been done on sanded paper. Which anyone that knows me or takes my workshops knows I am not a fan of sanded paper. The colors seemed dull, as if they had faded. I picked up some of my softer bright pastels and went to work. I pushed my comfort level in color, making it vibrant. I generally don't do vibrant colors. Once the colors looked good, I needed to bump up the contrast, going back into the dark's and finishing with the light hitting the bark of the trees. I pretty much re-did this little pastel painting. I look at the first layer as the under-painting.

The image "Autumn Lights" is of trees that were in my backyard when I lived in Maryland. I have done a similar painting or two of these trees. The picture I took was developed in film, not digital and it was one of those fall days when the light was clear and intense. It is a good memory. Changes come and changes go, this pastel painting changed from soft and mellow to something that is bright with light.

Day 29 "Autumn Lights" pastel on sanded paper

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...