Tuesday, September 1, 2015

After My Own HeART

For the love of trees, that will be the theme for September. Living part year in Virginia during the changing of the seasons I get to experience the glory of the tree. This past weekend Rick & I went to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home on top of a Virginia mountain. One of his passions was trees, which becomes very evident as you walk the trails around the house and gardens.

There are 160 species of trees some of which were his "pet trees". Jefferson, "the father of American Forestry" as some referred to him distributed seeds of choice, N. American trees while acting Minister in France.

While we walked around, others where taking pictures of the buildings, which I did too but my focus was on the trees. We stayed in a place in the woods with a deck that over looked the James River and was surrounded by trees. I brought with me a tree pastel I had been working on but used the inspiration from the trees in plein air to help me almost complete this piece. More on that tomorrow.

"I wish I was a despot that I might save the noble, beautiful trees that are daily falling sacrifice to the cupidity of their owners, or the necessity of the poor...The unnecessary feeling of a tree, perhaps the growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder." Thomas Jefferson

Willow Oak (Quercus phellos)

Jefferson's Monticello

Paper Mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera)

moon lite trees at our cabin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clouds - Trees - Along The Way

We are about 18 days into our cross country trip. We are on the east coast, have been for a for about a week, GA, S.C. crossed through N.C. ...