Monday, August 24, 2015

Hue's There


Blue - one of my favorite Hues. Color names: Ultramarine, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber.To an artist these are some of the sensual names. The primary colors/hues are Red-Yellow-Blue. From these three colors come all other colors. 

Colors have a order: R-O-Y-G-B-I-V (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet). There are families of colors Red and Yellow make Orange, Yellow and Blue make Green, Blue/Indigo and Red make Violet. These are the colors the eye perceives, the rainbow.

This is the very basics of color, not even getting into what makes black or white. I do not think of myself as a colorist. When I think color in my work I think under-painting. The colors that peak through but are not something you really see. The Impressionist painters did it well, they put colors side by side, causing the eye to mix the color. I do not work in an impressionist style but I do think about what colors work well with each other. 

As I moved back to working on a tree pastel it was feeling dull. I seem to be in a phase of re-working pieces that have been sitting unfinished for too long. Not just finishing what I started but adding whole new layers. I re-applied the sky, added trees to the background, re-applied the under-colors for the main tree. What next, guess we will both see, I know there will be some lovely gray tones and black line work. With a little luck this piece might be finish before next week.


Hue's Your Favorite?

Work In Progress, soft pastel on Rives BFK paper 22x30
ROYGBIV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art And Wine

Today, May 25th, is National Wine Day in the U.S.A. apparently there is a sister day in February called National Drink Wine Day. In celebrat...