Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Polar Opposites

In the evening between 4:30 - 6:30 the hummingbirds are getting in the last feeding of the day. This is also a battle of will power, who gets what feeder. There are body blows, tails flair, lots of noise, can't say they are singing as it is not a very pleasant sound these beautiful little guys create.

I sat around with my camera trying to catch the quick action of these small birds. My camera was not happy trying to focus on small, moving objects. I did manage to get a few shots I was happy with and as the birds settled down I looked up to see the "Snow Moon" rising between the mountains.

February Full Snow Moon, according to Farmer's Almanac it is the month with the heaviest snow falls. Additional names for this moon are "Hunger Moon", "Shoulder to Shoulder Around the Fire Moon" and "Bone Moon". The last one was from the Cherokees because the meat was limited in winter, they cooked with the bone, bone-marrow soup anyone?

My pictures today have a bit of opposition - hummingbirds and snow moon. Had an idea while writing this but it is taking too much time to layer the two images together, maybe later. These will have to do for today.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...