Saturday, July 5, 2014

How Long

How long did it take you to do that? A question every artist hears. It is a hard one to answer. Most of us have been working toward that one piece all our lives. We create all the time, we take pictures, sometimes too many but I stopped counting. We sketch, sometimes in a sketchbook and other times just with our eyes in our minds.

How long does it take to make a piece of art, as long as it takes. Some days work better then others, I can sit down and getting into the flow. Most of the time, I take a picture, do a sketch, decide if it will work better as pastel or oil, sketch out the composition and block in the under-painting, laying in colors that may not be seen by the time the piece is done.  Continue the next day with layers. Each day may be another layer until I think it is done.

I will leave a finished piece on the easel and come back the next morning to see what little changes may need to be addressed. Sometimes it is the little things that can make a big difference. A extra spark in the eye, a touch of red somewhere, or a darker blue-violet shadow.

Next week, I will be teaching all my tips & tricks in a pastel workshop at McDaniel College, Westminster, MD. I will have work on display at Rice Gallery. There is opening reception on Sunday from 4:30 - 5:30 and I will give an Artist Talk  on Monday from 6:30 - 7:30. If you are in the area come on by as I go into a bit more detail on how I work, my step by step to creating.
http://www.commondgroundonthehill.org

"Who Knew" pastel 

Step one - background - sketch

Step two - layers



No comments:

Post a Comment

Clouds - Trees - Along The Way

We are about 18 days into our cross country trip. We are on the east coast, have been for a for about a week, GA, S.C. crossed through N.C. ...