Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Knowing When To Stop

When is a piece of art done? How do you know when to stop? Sometimes it is not until you have gone too far but the more you paint the more likely you are to step back and not only look but learn to see what is in front of you.

Over the years I have learn to stop painting, set the painting up so that it will be the first thing I see when I walk in the studio the next day. Seeing it for the first time with fresh eyes. If it looks good, I turn it upside down, walk out of the room, come back again and usually I will see if something is out of place, the balance is off, color needs adjusting or contrast needs to be increased. It is a trick the mind and eye play well. Allowing another part of your brain to look at something in a different format.

Once this is done, I sign the work, photograph it, copyright it via photoshop, save to a file and it is ready for shows. So, I think I am done with another elephant painting. I enjoyed doing a little 4x12 so much that I did a similar one in 12x36. The big one will go in the solo show in June.

"Never Forget" oil on canvas 12x36

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art History

Some time ago I was at the AZ State Capitol for meetings in support of the Arts. While I was there I discovered the Original State Capit...