Friday, April 11, 2014

Street Artist For A Day

Saturday, April 12th, I will be at the Desert Ridge Marketplace District Area, 21001 N. Tatum Blvd., Phoenix, AZ just off the Loop 101 & Tatum Blvd. I am one of six artists selected to do a sidewalk chalk/pastel mural. Average size of the mural 5X7 feet - going as large as 12X12 feet. Mine will be closer to the 5X7 feet size.

The artists will be working on their murals, which are influenced by AZ, from 11:00 - 6:00 for the public. We check in around 9-ish, get set up, lay out our ideas and just paint the day away. This event is sponsored by Southern Arizona Arts & Cultural Alliance. They have done a wonderful job of making it easy for the artists. They are providing the pastels to work with, have prepared the space, have it protected for the artists to work, provide break room, food and water. Plus, a bonus, they pay the artist, which is so nice when we the artists are so often ask to do this type of thing for free or we pay an entrances fee to participate.  Okay, off my soapbox.

Looking forward to a fun day of painting large. The past few years I have been working fairly small. Lately, I have had the need to expand and create a few larger pieces. In pastels I have a couple 22x30 and a 16x20. Preparing to go bigger with longer format in oils, have the under-painting started on a 12x30 canvas. This weekend should help me get back into the swing of bigger. Who knows where this will take me and my art.

http://www.SAACA.org



No comments:

Post a Comment

Clouds - Trees - Along The Way

We are about 18 days into our cross country trip. We are on the east coast, have been for a for about a week, GA, S.C. crossed through N.C. ...