Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sketchy

I was going to write something about leaves, sketching plein air or painting in the studio. Going through my sketch books and I have many, I realized the blog would be more about the sketch book than the subject matter.

Sketch books are journals, a visual diary, mine covers travel all over the world. I write a lot, take notes as to where we were in that moment in time. I collect business cards, postcards, fliers and make sketches. Sometimes they are a quick sketch to help me remember an idea, the color of something, the texture, or just the emotional feeling. As I went back through them I even found sketches I had made of great masters from museum visits.

When I take or give a workshop I make notes and sketches. One I found of the cottonwood leaf from Desert Botanical Gardens. It was a memory sketch, you study the object for 10 minutes, remove it from your sight and draw from memory for 10 minutes. This was a precursor to a pastel I did later of cottonwood leaves on the ground.

These journals not only serve as memories but I come  back to find quotes that touch me and poetry that I want to remember. Here is one of my favorites.

"Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand.
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!"
Edna St, Vincent Millay



No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Changes

Recently I removed the Wild at heART FaceBook Group. I am down to two links on FB, one is Linda Harrison-Parsons, regular everything page wi...