Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Elevations

Yesterday I went North and up. Going to over 4600' elevation. I went to Surprise, AZ to pick up art from the "Animals, Animals, Animals" show. Found out I had received an Honorable Mention for one of my pieces. That was a nice surprise - sorry sometimes those puns just slip in on me.

I than headed up to Dewey-Humboldt, AZ which is near Prescott. As I was driving up Hwy 17 I always notice just after 3000' elevation marker, that the Saguaro cactus disappear. It gets too cold for these amazing tree forms. The Saguaro (carnegiea gigantea) is native to the Sonoran Desert, the blossom is the native wildflower for AZ. It is slow growing, arms do not appear till it is usually 25 plus years old. They can live to over 150 years and grow to 40-60' tall.

Yet, once you get above a certain elevation you don't see them. Junipers, pines, cottonwoods take over where the saguaro leaves off. I was please that I did not run into any snow going closer to Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff there is always a chance of snow this time of year. Dewey-Humboldt was two small towns that came together as one to preserve the land and a way of life. It is close to the big city of Prescott, and the Prescott National Forest, there are 5 lakes in the area, lots of hiking trails, and beautiful rock formations. The town of Dewy-Humboldt has some of the old cowboy exteriors but most of them can only be seen and not gone into. In Prescott the architecture is a lot like Williamsburg, VA style, with gingerbread trim on the houses. Many of the houses were built in the late 1800's early 1900's. The area was established around 1840.

I meet friends for lunch in Prescott and they drove me in and around town, giving me some of the history. A nice way to spend the afternoon. One of the dirt roads we drove down had a line of mailboxes for the houses that must have been hidden somewhere in the woodlands of the National Forest. Looking forward to going back up that way again, taking a little more time to explore the trails and the city.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Changes

Recently I removed the Wild at heART FaceBook Group. I am down to two links on FB, one is Linda Harrison-Parsons, regular everything page wi...