Thursday, January 23, 2014

For The Elephants

This winter has been a bit busy. I enjoy reading but usually it is at the end of the day. Over the last couple of months I have been lucky to get in a couple of pages before retiring for the night. I have been slowly reading, "Love, Life, and Elephants, an African love story" by Dame Daphne Sheldrick. It is a true story of a European family traveling to Africa, settling there, farming, growing up and learning to live with not only elephants but many other native animals.

The story starts from the beginning, how Dame Daphne Sheldrick came to Africa. Her family moved to Kenya and she tells in great detail how she became involved in the creation of the National Park systems. Plus, how she, her family and extended family raised orphan animals, including elephants, rhinos, zebra, antelopes and any other wildlife that came to them. Raising them with the intent of them returning to the wild, which generally they did.

I think reading this book a little at a time was a good thing. It keeps Africa fresh in my mind. It has me going back over my photographs and painting from the memories of seeing the animals in their native home. It has inspired me to do more research and to want to return to Africa once again.

http://picadorusa.com/lovelifeandelephants This link will take you to a slide show.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...