Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Through The Window

Yesterday, as I was putting something in my office, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye...it is a hawk sitting on a branch. I grabbed my camera, through the shutter, zoom in and got a couple of pictures.

What was really cool was, he knew there was something making a noise, he heard the camera! With a quick turn of his head he was looking right back at me.

I slowly moved to the front door, as quite as I could opened it but when I stepped out I did not see him on the branch. Went to put my camera back and there he was again on a different branch and facing forward. So, of course, I took a couple more shots.

They are not the greatest of photos but they will do for reference of a juvenile Harris Hawk sitting on a tree branch.

Harris Hawk's are not migratory birds, so they can be seen year round in AZ and many other locations around N. America. They hunt in groups, nest in small trees or cactus, often there are two males around to protect a nesting female. Even thought the females are larger then males. They can get up to about 30" in body length with a wingspan of 3 1/2 feet.

Next on my list is putting up the hummingbird feeders in the back yard, so I can see how long it takes the gila woodpeckers to find them!





No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...