Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Who is that tapping on my house

It must be spring here in AZ as the Gila Woodpeckers have started tapping on the a/c unit of the house again. When we moved in here last year I heard this noise and thought something was wrong with the pipes. It is a loud metallic noise. Come to find out it was the woodpeckers mating call. The males will make lots of loud noises to attract a mate. I am guessing that the louder the noise the bigger the male thinks he is and therefore a nice strong mate for some lucky lady.

The noise has started again this year. We have lots of woodpeckers that love the hummingbird feeder. We also have a saguaro cactus in the back yard. A favorite nesting place for woodpeckers. I think sometime during this spring I need to do a drawing/painting of a Gila Woodpecker. I started adding a cactus wren to the prickly pear sketch I started on Saturday. Might have to look at the saguaros this coming weekend.

Saguaro Cactus


Gila Woodpecker enjoying a little sugar water

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...