Sunday, March 3, 2013

Vitamin D

Got lots of vitamin D yesterday - it was a good day. I worked plein air at the Desert Botanical Gardens, Phoenix, AZ. I decide to do a study of prickly pear cactus. I want to do a long format with quail but capturing animals, birds, in plein air takes patience's. Quails are not calm birds, they run around more then fly. But, if you are quite and sit still you will see them under bushes, trees, cactus and they will come out for a bit. Yesterday, the Quail were on the move, too much going on at the gardens. I did have a little ground squirrel keep me company. He kept coming over to my pastel box, they are very colorful and I do believe he thought they might be food. I did a couple quick sketches of him. Who knows he might end up with the prickly pear sketch. By 1:00 I was in full sun, time to find some shade. I went back to where the cottonwoods grow, it is cooler and little shade spots with big rocks to sit. The remainder of the afternoon was walking around, doing little sketches in and out of shade.

Things to remember when you are out painting under the AZ sun - lots of water to drink, big hat for your own personal shade, sun screen and enjoy!


Prickly Pear Cactus
Desert Botanical Gardens


Work in Progress, pastel study of Prickly Pear

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...