Friday, March 1, 2013

March

Happy March - spring is almost here for many but in AZ it is already here. March is my favorite month. The weather is usually between 70's - 80's, this weekend it will be in the 80's.

I get to spend all day Saturday outside at the Botanical Gardens, plein air painting. It has been a cool winter with a fair amount of rain and snow in the high country. Bring on the flowers, there should be a good show of wild flowers this year and lots of cactus flowers.

The hardest thing about tomorrow is picking the area I want to be in for the day. There are so many lovely spots sometimes it can be overwhelming. When I am plein air painting I do not go for the big landscape. I love the up close & personal. I look for those little spaces, with birds or butterflies just hanging around. I allow myself 1/2 hour at the most to find my spot, set up and get painting. I may do a couple small sketches for composition but generally I will just start working. Pastel is very forgiving and if it is not going the direction I want it to, I wipe it out and start again...more on this another day.

Today I finish up the Quail painting that I have been working on, just a few more touches and we are calling it done - I hope! Will organize everything I need for tomorrows day out, pre-pack the car tonight so I can just get up have my coffee and go paint!

Desert Botanical Gardens - Wild Flower Trail

Prickly Pear Cactus

Prickly Pear Cactus

Saguaro Cactus usually starts blooming in May

Agave Flower with hummingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...