Friday, March 8, 2013

Give the Lady a Hand

Today is International Women's Day.

This started me thinking of the women in my life who have touched me. Some I have never meet, some where gone long before I was born. Some have been there in hard times, others in good times, some have only been in my life for a short period of time, others will be there till there is no more there.

One of the women I have always felt was an inspiration to me, artistically was Kathe Kollwitz. I discovered her work when I started doing printmaking. She lived from 1867 to 1945, born in East Prussia, moved and lived in German. Her work spoke of life during war and hard times. She was not only a printmaker, she painted, drew in charcoal, and did sculpture. Her hands in her work spoke to me on many levels. They showed pain, strength, creativity and compassion.

These hands reminded me of my mother, another inspiration in my life. She encouraged me when I was young to draw, she introduced me to music, all kinds of music. She allowed me to try new and different things. Her hands also spoke to me, a gentle woman, with strong hard working hands.

Today I am honoring these women that touched me and helped me become the artist I am today. 

Kathe Kollwitz

Kathe Kollwitz

Kathe Kollwitz


Mom by linda hp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rolling Through Roanoke

June 22, Thursday, Rick and I had to go into Roanoke, VA for the afternoon. Roanoke has some interesting street art, public art. There are a...