Monday, July 23, 2012

Great Horned Owl - Knight Flight

Yesterday as I was putting the final light touches on the owl I had started at Common Ground on the Hill I went outside for a break without my camera...there in a tree in the backyard was a Great Horned Owl (Bubo Virginianus). He saw me before I saw him and he took off. Just breath taking, they are so silent in their flight. I was a little surprised to see him in the middle of the day. Last time I saw him was at dusk as they tend to be night hunters.

The average Great Horned Owl weights around 3 pounds, is about 23 inches in height and has a wing span up to 60 inches. They are known for their ear tufts, which are basically feathers on top of their head with no known reason for their purpose. Some say to help change their appearance in trees, some believe it has to do with helping them hear but really only the owl knows.
"Knight Flight" great horned owl pastel on paper


I am done with my owl I have titled the piece "Knight Flight". Here are a few pictures that show the steps using Rives BFK Paper and toning it with soft pastels.



First Day toned paper used kneaded eraser to start drawing
Third Day using stick pastels add under color
Fifth day using sticks and pastel pencils to work on details
On the last day used charcoal pencil and my brightest white

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art History

Some time ago I was at the AZ State Capitol for meetings in support of the Arts. While I was there I discovered the Original State Capit...