Sunday, July 22, 2012

Back in time

While on the east coast Rick & I drove over to the eastern shore, Ocean City, MD to visit family. We took some time to go down to the boardwalk and stick our toes in the ocean. In Ocean City you view the  Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay, which make an estuary feed by the Susquehanna & Potomac Rivers. It is the largest estuary in the United States.

Going back to a place you visited as a child, a teenager and seeing it as an adult can be - interesting. The smell of Thrasher's French Fries, Old Bay in the air and the salt of the ocean takes you back in time. Having enough money to buy fries, salt water taffy or go through the Haunted House was your only care.

As we walked along the beach I  saw no shells. I wondered where have they gone? There had been a big storm along the east coast which took out a lot of the beach. This has happened several times over the years. To keep the beach and the tourists, they pull sand from out in the ocean and dump it along the shore. The angle of the beach is much steeper then I remember as a kid. The water drops off much quicker too and the sea shells are either still out in the ocean or buried beneath all that sand.

Even today every beach I go to I pick up at least one shell, rock or sea glass to remember that place. This time there was nothing to pick up. I hope that one day the tides will bring back the sea shells.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Art History

Some time ago I was at the AZ State Capitol for meetings in support of the Arts. While I was there I discovered the Original State Capit...