Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Teaching Adventure

Heading back to the east coast in a round about kind of way. I will be teaching "Painting with Pastels: Pushing Powder" at Common Ground on the Hill July 1 - 6th. It is held at McDaniels College Westminster, MD. A two week art & music experience with a festival in the middle.

I have found over the years I like to share. For me sharing is a form of teaching. So, I like to teach. Each person has their own special touch when it come to their art - their hand. I share style, technique, information, tricks and tips.

I work in a very old style, it was being used during the Renaissance. Working with handmade cotton rag paper I tone the paper, using a kneaded eraser I work the mid-tones and beginning of my highlights, this starts to bring out the forms. From this point the drawing can go in many directions, using charcoal pencils to makes it illustrative, adding color, the painting. It can stay monochromatic, giving it a soft effect. There are so many options, this is why I like this technique. Nothing really new, just continuing to teach people that the past still has much to offer.

As for getting to MD, we leave AZ head into NC. Why would we go to NC, well we left our car there. When we brought our cats out to AZ we needed to find as direct a flight as we could. Since there are none leaving from our part of VA, NC was the closest option. We will then drive up to VA for a couple days. Then to MD, meet with friends, family, fellow artists & students.

On our way back to AZ we plan a little side trip - San Francisco. Marilu has been accepted into the International Society of Scratchboard Artists Show in CA. She will be there for the opening and for some workshops. Life is full of opportunities and adventures. We will meet Marilu & her husband Dwight and find an adventure.

Here's a quote by Bill Keane creator of "Family Circus" that I have always found inspiring.                  "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present." Take those presents and enjoy!

Toned paper technique 1-2-3



For more info on Common Ground go to: http://www.commongroundonthehill.com

And for the ISSA check out their new site at: http://www.scratchboardsociety.com

learn the rules -  make them your own - break them as needed


No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing Catch-Up

My last post was July 3rd and now it is July 15th - wow! It is hard to believe that we have been on the road for over a month - 38 days as...