Monday, May 21, 2012

A matter of perspective

What we see, how we see can be a matter of perspective. Where we are, which coast, time of day, standing, sitting or cat's eye view.
I love the way the mist comes off of the New River and floats through the trees in VA. Which was just last week.


Being back in AZ I watch the sun rise each morning from behind the mountains out my back door. Captivated by the aerial perspective. I looked up the definition to make sure I had the information correct.

Dictionary.com - aerial perspective (n) a technique of rendering depth or distance in painting by modifying the tone or hue and distinctness of objects perceived as receding from the picture plane, especially by reducing distinctive local color and contrasts of light and dark to a uniform light bluish-gray color.

A lot of words to say as you go back in distance objects get lighter and softer. This effects has been something I try to capture in my work. As I do not do a lot of long distance landscapes, I look at the effects of fog and mist. The detail that is lost as you look into the woods on a rainy morning.



Learning to look at things differently, observe the space around you, take in the colors of the sky, the mountains, the trees from morning till sunset. Is the sky blue in the morning or at sunset, ever see a yellow sky? Purple mountains? What color is water? Sometimes you just need to look at things from a different perspective.
Whisper exploring his new home in AZ
Whisper hearing new bird sounds

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...