Saturday, February 25, 2012

Plein Air as Still Life

Thinking about the plein air event that starts next weekend at the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix, AZ. Each Saturday in March the artists from Scottsdale Artists League spend the day painting in the gardens. They have been doing this for about 17 years. The first weekend in April the works they create in Plein Air go on display at the garden for a show & sale. It is a great experience and fun to see what wonderful works are created.

As I think about plein air for me it is not always the grand scene, the landscape but the up close that intrigues me. I look out at the vast desert and mountains become overwhelmed. But, as I zoom in, look down, focus I see the smaller scene. The rocks with a feather laying on them, the cluster of leaves blowing together, the bark of a tree, the nest, the eggs, the bird, these are the still life in my plein air experiences.

Sometimes as you walk through the woods, the garden, or down the street, stop, turn around, look down see what you might have missed seeing. Take a moment to look at the small details.

DSC_0016_edited-113 color correctDSC_0020_edited-1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art History

Some time ago I was at the AZ State Capitol for meetings in support of the Arts. While I was there I discovered the Original State Capit...