Monday, June 27, 2011

Red Tailed Hawks

We have a Red Tailed Hawk family at the edge of our woods.  Perfect location, overlooking a small meadow of tall grasses.  For several days I have heard their plaintive cry in the woods.  Today I was treated to the sight of them.  Two adults and two juveniles.  The adults sat on our old wooden fence calling to their offspring.  I suspect it was a parenting thing...the adults trying to convence the young ones to come out and hunt for their own food.  And like most teenagers, the kids didn't want to give up the good thing they had going.  So they stayed high in the trees.  I'll try to keep an eye on them for the next few days, to see who wins. 

I hope to get some better close up pictures of them.  I love putting the bigger birds of prey in my artwork.  Birds like this make good scratchboard subjects.  At the present time, Linda and I have an exhibit at The Kentlands Mansion in Gaithersburg, Md.  A number of the pieces in that show are of Eagles, Hawks, Owls, and my newest scratchboard of a Peregrine Falcon.  Stop by and see it if you are in the area.  It's there till the end of July. 
                                                                                      Marilu


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...