Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hummingbirds

The hummingbirds are back. They let me know they are here by coming to the window of what ever room I am in, hovering there so that I know it is time to put the feeders back out. Hummingbirds are very territorial and amazing little warriors. They run other hummingbirds off and stand guard waiting in the Mountain Laurel Trees to run any invaders away.

Each year I learn something new about hummingbirds. The first year they found the feeder they not sit, they would take a quick drink and fly away. The second year they were more comfortable and stayed awhile. The next few years they started landing on top of the feeder or in the mountain laurel and just sitting there.

They come in the morning and in the evening, some during the day but always a.m. and p.m. I love sitting outside with my coffee and watching as they return each day. There is a family unit that comes regularly, and as of last year an invader, a darker male, his green is so dark it looks black. The other birds are not happy that he wants to share their space.

Hummingbirds are very vocal, they make a lot of noise for something so small. I have only heard a hummingbird sit and sing one time. He was all alone, sitting on the feeder and making a little chirping sound, not all that pretty compared to some birds but it was another of those first for me to witness.

May we all have those wonderful hummingbird experiences on Mother's Day.

Hummingbird - Tucson, AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Changes

Recently I removed the Wild at heART FaceBook Group. I am down to two links on FB, one is Linda Harrison-Parsons, regular everything page wi...