Saturday, April 2, 2011

Time and time again

"If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

   Spring goes right into summer in AZ. Yesterday hit the first 100 degree day! I got to experience it first hand at the opening of the plein air exhibit for the Scottsdale Artists League show at the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix, AZ. It was a long hot day and a beautiful show is up for the weekend. Along with our show is a show & sale of succulent plants at the Gardens. Today will be a "Quick Draw" where the artists will go draw one of these plants in 1 hour. I signed myself up for this event as I tend not to work fast and since this has been the year to try and push myself to do more things I am going for it. We shall see what comes from this adventure.

One of the pieces I have hanging in the plein air show is the cottonwood tree. I started this piece back in 2009, all of the work on it has been done on site. I would take the piece back to the "people & places trail" at the DBG and work on it for a few hours here and there. I framed it at one point and it was not right. I took it apart and continued to work on it on location. When is a piece done? Sometimes we never know or maybe it is done when it is sold. I still think I may need to work on one corner a little more but for now it is framed and in the show. If it sells I guess it is done, if not, I do believe I will take it back one more time to finish up a few extra cottonwood leaves in the background. Sometimes we are meant to return to a place or a painting time and time again. It may be the same piece or just doing several pieces as a series.
Sounds of the Cottonnwood

A little shade goes a long way.

Scottsdale Artists League Plein Air Show at the Desert Botanical Gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...