Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ready, Set, Go

"There was a child went forth every day,
And the first object he look'd upon, that object he became,
And that object became part of him for the day, or a certain part of the day,
Or for many years or stretching cycles of years.

The early lilacs became part of this child,
And grass and white and red morning-glories, and white and red clover, and
the song of the phoebe-bird,
And the Third-month lambs and the sow's pink-faint litter, and the mare's
foal and the cow's calf,
And the noisy brood of the barnyard or by the mire of the pond-side,
And the fish suspending themselves so curiously below there, and the
beautiful curious liquid,
And the water-plants with their graceful flat heads, all became part of him." - Walt Whitman

  "The kernel of creativity, is there in the infant: the desire and drive to explore, to find out about things, to try things out, to experiment with different ways of handling things and looking at things."...Dr. Teresa Amabile quoted from the book: "The Creative Spirit" see the book listings below for author & publishing information.

I have started re-reading "The Creative Spirit" and it is helping to make me push myself and my art. Yesterday, I did my first "Quick Draw" I kept referring to it as a "Quick Fire". You must set up, paint/draw and frame your work in about one hour. You have the hour to do the actual drawing or painting. It was fun and intense at the same time. I did this to try something new, my goal is to do something new at least once a year, something out of my comfort zone. I do not work fast, in signing up to do the "Quick Draw" I had to focus and not stress over details but just look at the overall composition, the flow, the color and in the last 15 minutes allow myself to do a little of the detail work. It was a challenge and it was fun. Part of working plein air is being able to talk with people and continue to work, the same but even more so with the "Quick Draw".

The event took place at the Botanical Gardens during the Succulent Show & Sale. Artists were allow to select a succulent plant  from the exhibit, set up while the show was going on and work within that hour. I found a beautiful aloe plant called: Aloe-Dorothea. It had beautiful colors, orange-red, yellow-green and dark blue-greens. The shape was elegant star type pattern. As I was working the owner of the plant came up behind me and immediately wanted the piece. I told her what the event was about and at the end showed her the pastel painting finished and framed. She purchased the piece and allowed it to stay for the rest of the show. There is another "Quick Draw" today and all of the works will be on display. It was good to push myself to try and get into that moment when you are doing something with passion and joy. It was a good day.

Aloe-Dorthea


No comments:

Post a Comment

Art History

Some time ago I was at the AZ State Capitol for meetings in support of the Arts. While I was there I discovered the Original State Capit...