Thursday, March 17, 2011

Looking and seeing

"In art the hand can never execute anything higher than the heart can inspire." Ralph Waldo Emerson

  There are times when you look but can not see and your hand wants to draw what it thinks it sees. Some times we let our brain get in the way of our art. Marilu & I were e-mailing about getting started on new projects. We both have done this: if you wear glasses take them off and look at what ever you are planning to draw/paint. It is most likely out of focus, at least it is for me and for Marilu. By doing this you need to look at the big shapes. This works great for plein air painting. Once you get the big shapes in you can see the shadows without worrying about all the details. Block the shadows in, once that is done put those glasses back on and see what you have done. If you have great vision you can close those eyes a bit and put on some sun glasses to bring out contrast.

These are just ways of helping you look at things differently, to let yourself create with your heart, your hand and let your brain take in the beauty around you. I like to think of it as a kind of meditation. If I just allow myself to look at what I see and not worry about the rest of the world my soul is the better for it and maybe my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's That Sound???

You know you are in Wyoming when you wake to the sound of horses. With limited wi-fi service it has been a lot harder to get blogs written a...