Sunday, January 23, 2011

Friends

"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day. But, if we forget to savor the world, what possible reason do we have for saving it? In a way the savoring must come first." - E.White ( via friend Phil Grout)

As we are getting the word out to friends, family & fans they are also bringing thoughts to inspire us. I had just read part of this quote a few days ago, then Phil posted it on FB...I knew I had to put this on the blog. It is a catch-22 we want to do good things for the earth and at the same time enjoy the bounty it gives us. As an artist I have always felt that I document places in order to preserve them. A tree drawing comes to mind, two sycamores that were in Montgomery Village (Gaithersburg, MD) many years ago. They were growing so tall and strong that one over took the other and both were lost. I drew these trees several times over the years, the first was plein air in graphite, later as a tone-paper pastel. I still remember the Sunday mornings, setting up my big drawing board with no one else around. Enjoying the peace, quite and beauty of the space. I could not save the trees but I did savor the moment. Thank you Phil for helping me remember that day.
Phil shared a memory of his own, to view a preview of his book "The First Wood Thrush" go to http://www.facebook.com/l/9331b;www.blurb.com  then enter his name in the search it will bring up all the books he has created. If you can not access it through FB try http://www.blurb.com/
Time to go outside, apparently the Santa Anna winds are blowing through AZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Playing Catch-Up

My last post was July 3rd and now it is July 15th - wow! It is hard to believe that we have been on the road for over a month - 38 days as...